ARTGARDENLAURA...living the dream...making pots ,running a business, living a life.

Laura Mayer::509.750.4995::
ARTGARDEN Pottery::104 West Third Ave. Moses Lake, WA 98837::509.765.1333::

New Website::artgardenpottery.com

STORE HOURS::Open EVERYDAY::
M-T:3-7PM, W-TH:12-7PM, FRI & SAT: 10-10PM, & SUN 12-5.
Every 1st Friday OPEN til 12midnight for PAINTTILYAFAINT!

Monday, May 10, 2010

Teaching Clay in the local Schools...

The last several weeks, I have been teaching in the local schools. I did a two week afterschool project with Ephrata Middle School where we made picture frames and wallpockets...43 projects! Then last week I spent a day at the Middle School teaching the art classes a Clay 101. They were starting their clay unit, so I gave a very brief overview of clay, glaze, construction methods, and the wheel. It was fun to be back in the classroom teaching.

The last few Wednesdays, I recently did a clay flower project (72 flowers) with Coulee City Elementary...the entire elementary school k-5 did an amazing job. They are all becoming quite the ceramicists... I went there in December and we did a clay mirror project, and then we did this project for Mother's Day!
All of their projects were a great success, love the idea of all these great little kids marching home with a flower in their hand. Made me remember why ART is so important for kids, the steps, the process, the creativity...all so important.
This flower was done by Ava Heathman, great paint job! It was so great to get into the schools and give the kids a chance to create. Coulee City's PTO paid me to produce this project, which was a win win for both of us.

Here they are 72 all in a row....now that's a garden. It inspires me I need to make some more flowers for my shop.


All this teaching has got me thinking...I have been talking to some local principals about heading to their schools to do the same thing, teaching the kids and possibly some inservice days teaching the teachers.
I do love to teach it is so rewarding to share with another and to see that creative spark when they create.
Looking forward to teaching this summer at the Moses Lake Museum & Art Center: I have 11 kids classes and 14 adult classes scheduled...should be fun!


No comments: